Leviticus 18-20 - God spoke to Moses: “Speak to the People of Israel. Tell them, I am God, your God. Don’t live like the people of Egypt where you used to live, and don’t live like the people of Canaan where I’m bringing you. Don’t do what they do. Obey my laws and live by my decrees. I am your God. Keep my decrees and laws: The person who obeys them lives by them. I am God.
“Don’t have sex with: a close relative. I am God..., your mother. She is your mother. Don’t have sex with her..., your father’s wife. That violates your father..., your sister, whether she’s your father’s daughter or your mother’s, whether she was born in the same house or elsewhere..., your son’s daughter or your daughter’s daughter. That would violate your own body..., the daughter of your father’s wife born to your father. She is your sister..., your father’s sister; she is your aunt, closely related to your father..., your mother’s sister; she is your aunt, closely related to your mother..., your father’s brother, your uncle, by having sex with his wife. She is your aunt..., your daughter-in-law. She is your son’s wife; don’t have sex with her..., your brother’s wife; that would violate your brother..., both a woman and her daughter. And don’t have sex with her granddaughters either. They are her close relatives. That is wicked.
Don’t marry your wife’s sister as a rival wife and have sex with her while your wife is living...,
Don’t have sex with: a woman during the time of her menstrual period when she is unclean...,your neighbor’s wife and violate yourself by her..., a man as one does with a woman. That is abhorrent..., an animal and violate yourself by it. A woman must not have sex with an animal. That is perverse.
Don’t pollute yourself in any of these ways. This is how the nations became polluted, the ones that I am going to drive out of the land before you... You must keep my decrees and laws—natives and foreigners both. You must not do any of these abhorrent things....Those who do any of these abhorrent things will be cut off from their people. Keep to what I tell you; don’t engage in any of the abhorrent acts that were practiced before you came. Don’t pollute yourselves with them. I am God, your God.”
God spoke to Moses: “Speak to the congregation of Israel. Tell them, Be holy because I, God, your God, am holy.
- Every one of you must respect his mother and father.
- Keep my Sabbaths. I am God, your God.
- Don’t take up with no-god idols. Don’t make gods of cast metal. I am God, your God....
- When you sacrifice a Peace-Offering to God, do it as you’ve been taught so it is acceptable...
- When you harvest your land, don’t harvest right up to the edges of your field or gather the gleanings from the harvest... Leave them for the poor and the foreigner. I am God, your God.
- Don’t steal...lie...deceive anyone....swear falsely using my name, violating the name of your God. I am God...exploit your friend or rob him...hold back the wages of a hired hand overnight...curse the deaf; put a stumbling block in front of the blind; fear your God. I am God....pervert justice....show favoritism to either the poor or the great. Judge on the basis of what is right....spread gossip and rumors,...just stand by when your neighbor’s life is in danger. I am God....secretly hate your neighbor. If you have something against him, get it out into the open; otherwise you are an accomplice in his guilt...seek revenge or carry a grudge against any of your people.
Love your neighbor as yourself. I am God. Keep my decrees.
Don’t mate two different kinds of animals....plant your fields with two kinds of seed....wear clothes woven of two kinds of material.
If a man has sex with a slave girl who is engaged to another man but has not yet been ransomed or given her freedom, there must be an investigation....
When you enter the land and plant any kind of fruit tree, don’t eat the fruit for three years; consider it inedible. By the fourth year its fruit is holy, an offering of praise to God. Beginning in the fifth year you can eat its fruit; you’ll have richer harvests this way. I am God, your God.
Don’t: eat meat with blood in it, practice divination or sorcery, cut the hair on the sides of your head or trim your beard, gash your bodies on behalf of the dead, tattoo yourselves. I am God, violate your daughter by making her a whore—the whole country would soon become a brothel, filled with sordid sex.
Keep my Sabbaths and revere my Sanctuary: I am God.
Don’t dabble in the occult or traffic with mediums; you’ll pollute your souls. I am God, your God.
Show respect to the aged; honor the presence of an elder; fear your God. I am God.
When a foreigner lives with you in your land, don’t take advantage of him. Treat the foreigner the same as a native. Love him like one of your own. Remember that you were once foreigners in Egypt. I am God, your God.
Don’t cheat when measuring length, weight, or quantity. Use honest scales and weights and measures. I am God, your God. I brought you out of Egypt.
Keep all my decrees and all my laws. Yes, do them. I am God.”
God spoke to Moses: “Tell the Israelites, Each and every Israelite and foreigner in Israel who gives his child to the god Molech must be put to death... By giving his child to the god Molech he has polluted my Sanctuary and desecrated my holy name...
- I will resolutely reject persons who dabble in the occult or traffic with mediums, prostituting themselves in their practices. I will cut them off from their people. Set yourselves apart for a holy life. Live a holy life, because I am God, your God. Do what I tell you; live the way I tell you. I am the God who makes you holy.
- Any and every person who curses his father or mother must be put to death....
- If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife—the wife, say, of his neighbor—both the man and the woman, the adulterer and adulteress, must be put to death.
- If a man has sex with his father’s wife, he has violated his father. Both the man and woman must be put to death; they are responsible for their own deaths. If a man has sex with his daughter-in-law, both of them must be put to death. What they have done is perverse. And they are responsible for their own deaths. If a man has sex with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is abhorrent. They must be put to death; they are responsible for their own deaths. If a man marries both a woman and her mother, that’s wicked. All three of them must be burned at the stake, purging the wickedness from the community. If a man has sex with an animal, he must be put to death and you must kill the animal. If a woman has sex with an animal, you must kill both the woman and the animal. They must be put to death. And they are responsible for their deaths.If a man marries his sister, the daughter of either his father or mother, and they have sex, that’s a disgrace. They must be publicly cut off from their people. He has violated his sister and will be held responsible. If a man sleeps with a woman during her period and has sex with her, he has uncovered her ‘fountain’ and she has revealed her ‘fountain’—both of them must be cut off from their people. Don’t have sex with your aunt on either your mother’s or father’s side. That violates a close relative. Both of you are held responsible.“If a man has sex with his aunt, he has dishonored his uncle. They will be held responsible and die childless. If a man marries his brother’s wife, it’s a defilement. He has shamed his brother. They will be childless.
- “Do what I tell you, all my decrees and laws; live by them so that the land where I’m bringing you won’t vomit you out. You simply must not live like the nations I’m driving out before you. They did all these things and I hated every minute of it.
I’ve told you, remember, that you will possess their land that I’m giving to you as an inheritance, a land flowing with milk and honey. I am God, your God, who has distinguished you from the nations. So live like it: Distinguish between ritually clean and unclean animals and birds. Don’t pollute yourselves with any animal or bird or crawling thing which I have marked out as unclean for you. Live holy lives before me because I, God, am holy. I have distinguished you from the nations to be my very own....
Hebrews 10:1-10:18 - The old plan was only a hint of the good things in the new plan...
No matter how many sacrifices were offered year after year, they never added up to a complete solution...instead of removing awareness of sin..., they actually heightened awareness and guilt...
When Jesus added, “I am here to do it your way,” he set aside the first plan in order to enact the new plan--God’s way --by which we are made fit for God by the once for all sacrifice of Jesus....
As a priest, Jesus made a single sacrifice for sins and that was it....It was a perfect sacrifice by a perfect person to perfect some very imperfect people. By that single offering, he did everything that needed to be done for everyone who takes part in the purifying process.
The Holy Spirit confirms this:...”This time, “I’m writing out the plan in them, carving it on the lining of their hearts.” He concludes, “I’ll forever wipe the slate clean of their sins.”